Home Page   |   About   |   Testimonials   |   Videos   |  Articles

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Movement. More important than weight?

I love to lift heavy things. It makes me feel cool. But more important than lifting something heavy is to move efficiently. Maybe the amount of weight is not as important as how the force is applied.
I never thought I would say that.
But it's true. Revisiting the Swing and Get-Up has been truly eye opening for me. In the last few weeks I have unlocked my hip flexors unleashing the power of the glutes and hamstrings and also truly found my lats.
I haven't gone heavier than 16kg for the Get-Ups. The swings I have stuck with one arm swings at 40kg.
Yesterday I did a fun little workout focusing on movement--not on weight.
Ladder from 16kg to 48kg.
Get-Up 16kg x 1/1
Swing 16kg x 8/8
Repeat with 20kg, 24kg, 28kg, 32kg, 36kg, 40kg, 48kg and all the way back down 40,36,32,28,24,20,16.

The movement was the same. Strict, crisp, connected. This session consisted of 240 swings and 30 get-ups. The swings were rest from the get-ups and vice versa. I did take a short break (60 seconds or less) after the 48kg swings.
The movement was the same.
So the next time you enter the gym, garage, shed, yard, wherever you train, ask yourself; How is my movement?

No comments: