Home Page   |   About   |   Testimonials   |   Videos   |  Articles

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Swing is the center of the universe

Brett Jones had a great quote at the RKC in San Diego recently regarding the Swing and the Get-up;
"The swing is my favorite, Get-up more favorite"
Lately my training has been primarily that. So this leads me to look at the swing with more attention.
The snatch gets a lot of hype but the swing is the center of the universe. If you don't have a swing, you don't have a snatch. just doing swings is enough. You think the swing is too easy? How about one arm swings with a 40kg for sets of 8/side on the minute for 12 minutes. Oh right, that's what I did today--and it was brutal.

You get a higher cadence than with the snatch, you can use more weight. The swing is king.
Now that I got that out of my system here's what else I did today.
Bottom Up Press
24kg x 8/8 x 3
24kg x 5/5 x 5
Bottom Up Squat
24kg x 5/5 x 5
Bottom Up Windmill
24kg x 1/1 x 3

Did the swings later and then hit the heavy bag.

On monday I did tabata one arm swings with a 32kg getting 5 reps per set and immediately followed that with tabata burpees and got 8 reps per set.
So:
Tabata one arm swing @ 32kg (switch arms each round)
10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10
Tabata Burpee
8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8
THAT was tough but it's going to be my new benchmark because it was really, really hard.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Strong stuff as always Max. I've done the Swing/Burpee Tabata mashup myself and it is indeed an asskicker.