Home Page   |   About   |   Testimonials   |   Videos   |  Articles

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pulls and Strikes

It should make sense, that on a day where you are going to be doing a lot of striking (push) that your training for that day should be more pulling than pushing. A lot of athletes will bench heavy, overhead press heavy, and then wonder why they can't punch later. Keep it simple, and have purpose in what you're doing. If you're going to roll jiu-jitsu (a lot of pulling) maybe do more pushing in your training session. Everyone is different, of course, and some people can handle more than others in that respect (recovery, genetics, etc).

On to the training:
120 yards on the power wheel, I'll post a vid later, this was brutal.

TGU: 48kg x 1/1 x 5 (elbow didn't love this near the end so I didn't increase weight)
Pistol: double 16kgs x 4/4 x 3 (left knee didn't like me today so I didn't push it)

Double Swing: 48kg+20lbs of chains per hand (total 252 lbs) x 6, 6, 8, 6
Renegade Row: 48kg+20lbs of chains per hand x 5/5 x 4

Farmers walk to the death x 2 sets with same weight.

Muay Thai later.
8/10, solid on the swings but my elbow and knee weren't 100%.

1 comment:

Faizal S. Enu said...

After seeing you on the power wheel, I thought that I should give it a try.

Not as bad as I though, but I am certainly not in your league. I did 8 sets of 20yd (it was raining, and I had to do it inside.)

While I was not limited in my core during the walks, my obliques are very tight now.

Thanks for the inspiration...